Day 151: Job 31-33

(The previous post covered Job's summary of his circumstances: An unjust punishment came upon him and even though Job had helped others, no one was able to help him, which was a separate and second injustice that had been done to Job.)

Job 31

(This was the end of Job's concluding statement.)

1 I made a covenant with mine eyes; How then should I look upon a virgin?
2 For what is the portion from God above, And the heritage from the Almighty on high?
3 Is it not calamity to the unrighteous, And disaster to the workers of iniquity?
4 Doth not he see my ways, And number all my steps?
5 If I have walked with falsehood, And my foot hath hasted to deceit;
6 (Let me be weighed in an even balance, That God may know mine integrity);

(Job intentionally chose to be righteous because he knew God saw and Job knew that the wicked were destroyed.)

7 If my step hath turned out of the way, And my heart walked after mine eyes, And if any spot hath cleaved to my hands:
8 Then let me sow, and let another eat; Yea, let the produce of my field be rooted out.
9 If my heart hath been enticed unto a woman, And I have laid wait at my neighbor's door;
10 Then let my wife grind unto another, And let others bow down upon her.
11 For that were a heinous crime; Yea, it were an iniquity to be punished by the judges:
12 For it is a fire that consumeth unto Destruction, And would root out all mine increase.
13 If I have despised the cause of my man-servant or of my maid-servant, When they contended with me;
14 What then shall I do when God riseth up? And when he visiteth, what shall I answer him?

(Job recognized that how he treated his servants was a statement of his will to God of how he wanted to be treated by God.)

15 Did not he that made me in the womb make him? And did not one fashion us in the womb?
16 If I have withheld the poor from their desire, Or have caused the eyes of the widow to fail,
17 Or have eaten my morsel alone, And the fatherless hath not eaten thereof;
18 (Nay, from my youth he grew up with me as with a father, And her have I guided from my mother's womb);
19 If I have seen any perish for want of clothing, Or that the needy had no covering;
20 If his loins have not blessed me, And if he hath not been warmed with the fleece of my sheep;
21 If I have lifted up my hand against the fatherless, Because I saw my help in the gate:
22 Then let my shoulder fall from the shoulder-blade, And mine arm be broken from the bone.

(Job was willing to accept judgment if he had not helped the poor and defenseless.)

23 For calamity from God is a terror to me, And by reason of his majesty I can do nothing.
24 If I have made gold my hope, And have said to the fine gold, Thou art my confidence;
25 If I have rejoiced because my wealth was great, And because my hand had gotten much;
26 If I have beheld the sun when it shined, Or the moon walking in brightness,
27 And my heart hath been secretly enticed, And my mouth hath kissed my hand:
28 This also were an iniquity to be punished by the judges; For I should have denied the God that is above.

(Job was willing to accept judgment if he had been making the physical preeminent to God.)

29 If I have rejoiced at the destruction of him that hated me, Or lifted up myself when evil found him;
30 (Yea, I have not suffered by mouth to sin By asking his life with a curse);
31 If the men of my tent have not said, Who can find one that hath not been filled with his meat?
32 (The sojourner hath not lodged in the street; But I have opened my doors to the traveller);
33 If like Adam I have covered my transgressions, By hiding mine iniquity in my bosom,

(Job was even willing to consider he was justifying himself, as Adam did.)

34 Because I feared the great multitude, And the contempt of families terrified me, So that I kept silence, and went not out of the door-
35 Oh that I had one to hear me! (Lo, here is my signature, let the Almighty answer me); And that I had the indictment which mine adversary hath written!

(Job's summary was that he had always been aware that God would judge unrighteousness, so he did whatever it took to be righteous...to the extent that Job would welcome judgment if he had failed to be righteous. Having said all of that, Job could now only state he desired that God would answer him.)

36 Surely I would carry it upon my shoulder; I would bind it unto me as a crown:
37 I would declare unto him the number of my steps; As a prince would I go near unto him.
38 If my land crieth out against me, And the furrows thereof weep together;
39 If I have eaten the fruits thereof without money, Or have caused the owners thereof to lose their life:
40 Let thistles grow instead of wheat, And cockle instead of barley. The words of Job are ended.

(Job then stated he would let everyone see what he had done wrong. He would be willing to accept judgment if he had been unjust. Job stated his words were ended. There was no way for Job to curse God. The Major Conflict had been resolved! God was Right. Could God now alleviate Job's suffering? Could God now explain to Job why this happened? Job was also stating his will he was not going to initiate trying to figure out why all this happened. He would wait for God to show him. Would God respond to this?)




Job 32
1 So these three men ceased to answer Job, because he was righteous in his own eyes.

(The three friends also had decided to not speak any more as well. The classic story telling structure that was mastered by the Book of Esther had been completed, however, the Book of Job was different: there was more to the story.

Without Job or the three friends speaking, only the following three events could have happened next:
1) God could have spoken,
2) Another person could have spoken,
3) Nothing...the three friends wait for Job to die as nothing changes.

What ended up happening was #2: another person spoke. His name was Elihu and he was possibly the most misunderstood person in the Bible. Some people think he was the devil. Some people think he was comic relief. I happen to believe he was the rare example of a person with a perfect thought process, however, you decide. What followed was actually "an autopsy"! Elihu would explain what had happened, and why!)

2 Then was kindled the wrath of Elihu the son of Barachel the Buzite, of the family of Ram: against Job was his wrath kindled, because he justified himself rather than God.

(First of all, Elihu was the son of Barachel the Buzite. Was there any previous mention of either of these people in the Old Testament? Would the mention(s) be linked to the time after Abraham? We saw the following in Genesis 22:19-21 -
"19 So Abraham returned unto his young men, and they rose up and went together to Beer-sheba. And Abraham dwelt at Beer-sheba.
20 And it came to pass after these things, that it was told Abraham, saying, Behold, Milcah, she also hath borne children unto thy brother Nahor.
21 Uz his first-born, and Buz his brother, and Kemuel the father of Aram."

Elihu was a descendent of Abraham's brother!)

(Elihu was upset because Job was justifying himself rather than God. The previous chapter showed how Job even considered he was justifying himself. However, did he ever try to justify God?)

3 Also against his three friends was his wrath kindled, because they had found no answer, and yet had condemned Job.

(Elihu was upset with the three "friends" because they blamed Job for effects without knowing the cause. They abused Causality.)

4 Now Elihu had waited to speak unto Job, because they were elder than he.
5 And when Elihu saw that there was no answer in the mouth of these three men, his wrath was kindled.

(Elihu was present the entire time. He was being respectful by allowing the three "friends" and Job to speak before he did because they were older. So far, we see Elihu was able to perform this "autopsy" because he witnessed all the events. Second, we see Elihu correctly recognized Job did not try to justify God and the three "comforters" judged Job without causes. Elihu had already used contrastive thinking and causality and he had not begun to speak yet.)

6 And Elihu the son of Barachel the Buzite answered and said, I am young, and ye are very old; Wherefore I held back, and durst not show you mine opinion.
7 I said, Days should speak, And multitude of years should teach wisdom.
8 But there is a spirit in man, And the breath of the Almighty giveth them understanding.
9 It is not the great that are wise, Nor the aged that understand justice.

(Elihu was contrastive because he stated that he would be giving them his opinion. Also, Elihu was humble because he gave God the credit for his words. Was Elihu speaking for God?)

10 Therefore I said, Hearken to me; I also will show mine opinion.
11 Behold, I waited for your words, I listened for your reasonings, Whilst ye searched out what to say.
12 Yea, I attended unto you, And, behold, there was none that convinced Job, Or that answered his words, among you.
13 Beware lest ye say, We have found wisdom; God may vanquish him, not man:

(Elihu was explaining why it was right and just for him to speak now.)

14 For he hath not directed his words against me; Neither will I answer him with your speeches.
15 They are amazed, they answer no more: They have not a word to say.
16 And shall I wait, because they speak not, Because they stand still, and answer no more?
17 I also will answer my part, I also will show mine opinion.
18 For I am full of words; The spirit within me constraineth me.
19 Behold, my breast is as wine which hath no vent; Like new wine-skins it is ready to burst.

(Matthew 9:17 - "Neither do men put new wine into old wine-skins: else the skins burst, and the wine is spilled, and the skins perish: but they put new wine into fresh wine-skins, and both are preserved."

Jesus spoke these words. This was Jesus' response to the Pharisees who questioned Jesus why His Disciples did not fast. Was Jesus quoting Elihu?)

20 I will speak, that I may be refreshed; I will open my lips and answer.
21 Let me not, I pray you, respect any man's person; Neither will I give flattering titles unto any man.
22 For I know not to give flattering titles; Else would my Maker soon take me away.

(Elihu did not care about titles because he knew that God did not care about titles. Elihu referenced Justice, he knew God would punish him if his words were not right and just.)

(This chapter presented the first part of Elihu's response. Elihu was angry because:
1) Job had justified himself instead of justifying God, and
2) Job's three friends condemned Job without objectively stating Job's sin.) 




Job 33
1 Howbeit, Job, I pray thee, hear my speech, And hearken to all my words.
2 Behold now, I have opened my mouth; My tongue hath spoken in my mouth.
3 My words shall utter the uprightness of my heart; And that which my lips know they shall speak sincerely.
4 The Spirit of God hath made me, And the breath of the Almighty giveth me life.
5 If thou canst, answer thou me; Set thy words in order before me, stand forth.
6 Behold, I am toward God even as thou art: I also am formed out of the clay.
7 Behold, my terror shall not make thee afraid, Neither shall my pressure be heavy upon thee.

(Elihu wanted to give Job the why behind what had happened. This was in response to what Job said in Job 13:20-23. Job wanted to know how he caused this. Job also said he was afraid to debate with God. Elihu was going to explain the cause...and he was doing it, instead of God, so that Job would not be afraid.)

8 Surely thou hast spoken in my hearing, And I have heard the voice of thy words, saying,
9 I am clean, without transgression; I am innocent, neither is there iniquity in me:
10 Behold, he findeth occasions against me, He counteth me for his enemy:
11 He putteth my feet in the stocks, He marketh all my paths.

(Elihu listened to all of Job's words. Elihu was focused on understanding.)

12 Behold, I will answer thee, in this thou art not just; For God is greater than man.

(Elihu was saying that at least one thing Job said (vs. 9-11) was unjust. This was why Job did not know why this was happening. Did Job say something that was unjust? What was it?)

13 Why dost thou strive against him, For that he giveth not account of any of his matters?

(Elihu asked Job why Job thought that God did not give an account...and if Job thought God did not give an account why would Job wait for God to give an account? Elihu used the principle of non-contradiction to show Job had a flawed thought process.)

14 For God speaketh once, Yea twice, though man regardeth it not.

(God does give an account.)

15 In a dream, in a vision of the night, When deep sleep falleth upon men, In slumberings upon the bed;
16 Then he openeth the ears of men, And sealeth their instruction,
17 That he may withdraw man from his purpose, And hide pride from man;
18 He keepeth back his soul from the pit, And his life from perishing by the sword.
19 He is chastened also with pain upon his bed, And with continual strife in his bones;
20 So that his life abhorreth bread, And his soul dainty food.
21 His flesh is consumed away, that it cannot be seen; And his bones that were not seen stick out.
22 Yea, his soul draweth near unto the pit, And his life to the destroyers.

(God used dreams, visions, and pain to speak to people. God did this to humble, and protect people. The various methods that God used were for the long term best interest of people.)

23 If there be with him an angel, An interpreter, one among a thousand, To show unto man what is right for him;
24 Then God is gracious unto him, and saith, Deliver him from going down to the pit, I have found a ransom.
25 His flesh shall be fresher than a child's; He returneth to the days of his youth.
26 He prayeth unto God, and he is favorable unto him, So that he seeth his face with joy: And he restoreth unto man his righteousness.

(God spoke through other people...like Elihu?)

27 He singeth before men, and saith, I have sinned, and perverted that which was right, And it profited me not:
28 He hath redeemed my soul from going into the pit, And my life shall behold the light.
29 Lo, all these things doth God work, Twice, yea thrice, with a man,
30 To bring back his soul from the pit, That he may be enlightened with the light of the living.

(God was persistent in speaking to people with these various methods. Elihu was also stating that God would use the righteous to bring revelation into the world, even if it meant the righteous suffer.)

31 Mark well, O Job, hearken unto me: Hold thy peace, and I will speak.
32 If thou hast anything to say, answer me: Speak, for I desire to justify thee.
33 If not, hearken thou unto me: Hold thy peace, and I will teach thee wisdom.

(Elihu wanted Job to understand and he was making sure that Job did understand. In fact, in this overview statement, Elihu used Job's own words to meet Job where Job was at. Elihu was facilitating Job's purpose and progress. Elihu was a leader. What do you think of this overview from Elihu?)

(This post covered the conclusion of Job's final statement and Elihu's overview statement.)

Day 152

No comments:

Post a Comment