Day 155: Psalms 1-5

(The Book of Psalms was the second of the five books that made up the poetic section of the Old Testament. The Book of Psalms consisted of 150 psalms. The authorship of 100 of these psalms has been ascribed to one of seven authors: Moses, David, Solomon, Asaph, Heman, Ethan, and the sons of Korah. The rest of the psalms were mostly written by Solomon and David. The Book of Psalms was broken into five books and titled according to the five books of the Torah:
-Psalms 1-41 made up "Genesis" and covered God's blessings and man's rejection. It was compiled by David.
-Psalms 42-72 made up "Exodus" and covered Israel's redemption.
-Psalms 73-89 made up "Leviticus" and covered the sanctuary and its relation to man.
-Psalms 90-106 made up "Numbers" and covered man's progress towards eternal life.
-Psalms 107-150 made up "Deuteronomy" and covered divine government.

While every boy in Israel memorized the Torah until the age of twelve years old, at that same time every girl in Israel memorized the Book of Psalms and the Book of Proverbs. Finally, Jesus said the following in Luke 24:44 after His resurrection: "44 And he said unto them, These are my words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must needs be fulfilled, which are written in the law of Moses, and the prophets, and the psalms, concerning me." According to Jesus, the Book of Psalms contained prophecy. Also, Paul referenced the Book of Psalms throughout his epistles.)

Psalm 1
1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the wicked, Nor standeth in the way of sinners, Nor sitteth in the seat of scoffers:

(Blessed (effects) is the man who does the following causes...)

2 But his delight is in the law of Jehovah; And on his law doth he meditate day and night.

(Causes - his delight is in God's Law (law, direction (grace), instruction) and he meditates in God's Law. Because law meant "direction/instruction," you can interpret these verses to mean "delight in God's Word, meditate in God's Word.")

3 And he shall be like a tree planted by the streams of water, That bringeth forth its fruit in its season, Whose leaf also doth not wither; And whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.

(The man who does these causes will produce fruit (growth) and will prosper (profitability). The Book of Psalms began with the analogy of a tree. A tree is on Israel's flag.)

4 The wicked are not so, But are like the chaff which the wind driveth away.

(The wind will drive away the wicked. They are not rooted and grounded in God's Word. They will be "tossed to and fro": Ephesians 4:11-16.)

5 Therefore the wicked shall not stand in the judgment, Nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.
6 For Jehovah knoweth the way of the righteous; But the way of the wicked shall perish.

(The first psalm presented a simple analogy of a tree that was planted by water, whose leaf did not wither and bore fruit in season. Trees were used throughout the Bible. The Bible began and ended with the tree of life.)




Psalm 2
1 Why do the nations rage, And the peoples meditate a vain thing?
2 The kings of the earth set themselves, And the rulers take counsel together, Against Jehovah, and against his anointed, saying,
3 Let us break their bonds asunder, And cast away their cords from us.

(Kings and rulers of the world are doing things for their own benefit at the expense of others. This results in unprofitability: vanity.)

4 He that sitteth in the heavens will laugh: The Lord will have them in derision.
5 Then will he speak unto them in his wrath, And vex them in his sore displeasure:
6 Yet I have set my king Upon my holy hill of Zion.
7 I will tell of the decree: Jehovah said unto me, Thou art my son; This day have I begotten thee.

(Acts 13:33 recorded that Paul referenced this verse during his sermon in Antioch of Pisidia. Hebrews 5:5 also referenced this verse.)

8 Ask of me, and I will give thee the nations for thine inheritance, And the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession.
9 Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; Thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel.
10 Now therefore be wise, O ye kings: Be instructed, ye judges of the earth.

(God was telling the kings to be wise and serve the Lord. This would cause the kings to be leaders (facilitating the purpose and progress of others) and not bosses (facilitating their own purpose and progress at the expense of others).)

11 Serve Jehovah with fear, And rejoice with trembling.

(In this verse, "fear" was out of respect: considering God as greater than yourself. Notice, trembling came from rejoicing. We are supposed to work out our own salvation with "fear and trembling" (Philippians 2:12)...with respect for God and rejoicing!)

12 Kiss the son, lest he be angry, and ye perish in the way, For his wrath will soon be kindled. Blessed are all they that take refuge in him.

(Those that put their trust ("take refuge in") in God will be blessed. The definition of trust was the same as faith: "a belief in something you cannot see, either because it is invisible or it has not happened yet.")




Psalm 3

A Psalm of David, when he fled from Absalom his son.

1 Jehovah, how are mine adversaries increased! Many are they that rise up against me.
2 Many there are that say of my soul, There is no help for him in God. Selah

(Selah meant "pause and think about what you just read." The author wanted the reader to pause and become conscious of what was read.)

(2 Samuel 15 records part of the story of David's son Absalom starting a mutiny. David surely felt the affliction from his enemies.)

3 But thou, O Jehovah, art a shield about me; My glory and the lifter up of my head.
4 I cry unto Jehovah with my voice, And he answereth me out of his holy hill. Selah

(David cried to God in these times of trouble. This took faith. This was why God was David's protector and encourager: vs. 3.)

5 I laid me down and slept; I awaked; for Jehovah sustaineth me.
6 I will not be afraid of ten thousands of the people That have set themselves against me round about.

(David was not afraid of man because he knew God was with him.)

7 Arise, O Jehovah; save me, O my God: For thou hast smitten all mine enemies upon the cheek bone; Thou hast broken the teeth of the wicked.
8 Salvation belongeth unto Jehovah: Thy blessing be upon thy people. Selah




Psalm 4

For the Chief Musician; on stringed instruments. A Psalm of David.

1 Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness; Thou hast set me at large when I was in distress: Have mercy upon me, and hear my prayer.
2 O ye sons of men, how long shall my glory be turned into dishonor? How long will ye love vanity, and seek after falsehood? Selah

(David spoke to both God and men.)

3 But know that Jehovah hath set apart for himself him that is godly: Jehovah will hear when I call unto him.

(The godly are set apart (sanctified) by God and God will hear their call.)

4 Stand in awe, and sin not: Commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah

(Take time to commune (share) with God and be still (listen) with God...and then the verse ended with "Selah.")

5 Offer the sacrifices of righteousness, And put your trust in Jehovah.
6 Many there are that say, Who will show us any good? Jehovah, lift thou up the light of thy countenance upon us.
7 Thou hast put gladness in my heart, More than they have when their grain and their new wine are increased.
8 In peace will I both lay me down and sleep; For thou, Jehovah, alone makest me dwell in safety.

(True safety/protection only comes from God.)




Psalm 5

For the Chief Musician; with the Nehiloth. A Psalm of David.

1 Give ear to my words, O Jehovah, Consider my meditation.
2 Hearken unto the voice of my cry, my King, and my God; For unto thee do I pray.
3 O Jehovah, in the morning shalt thou hear my voice; In the morning will I order my prayer unto thee, and will keep watch.

(David stated that his days began by recognizing God. This psalm is referred to as a "morning prayer." It was an example of what David did to start his day off on the path with God.)

4 For thou art not a God that hath pleasure in wickedness: Evil shall not sojourn with thee.
5 The arrogant shall not stand in thy sight: Thou hatest all workers of iniquity.
6 Thou wilt destroy them that speak lies: Jehovah abhorreth the blood-thirsty and deceitful man.
7 But as for me, in the abundance of thy lovingkindness will I come into thy house: In thy fear will I worship toward thy holy temple.
8 Lead me, O Jehovah, in thy righteousness because of mine enemies; Make thy way straight before my face.

(David was asking God for grace: "Lead me...in thy Righteousness..." His faith showed him that being led by God was the cause of staying on the path God set before him.)

9 For there is no faithfulness in their mouth; Their inward part is very wickedness; Their throat is an open sepulchre; They flatter with their tongue.
10 Hold them guilty, O God; Let them fall by their own counsels; Thrust them out in the multitude of their transgressions; For they have rebelled against thee.
11 But let all those that take refuge in thee rejoice, Let them ever shout for joy, because thou defendest them: Let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee.
12 For thou wilt bless the righteous; O Jehovah, thou wilt compass him with favor as with a shield.

(Three causes we ought to pursue:
1) Trusting (faith in) God,
2) Loving God,
3) Righteousness (through grace)...

...faith, love, and grace.)

(This post covered the first five psalms which were all believed to be from David.)

Day 156

No comments:

Post a Comment