Day 160: Psalms 26-30

(The previous post covered five psalms from David that contained Messianic prophecy and themes from the Book of Job.)

Psalm 26

A Psalm of David.

1 Judge me, O Jehovah, for I have walked in mine integrity: I have trusted also in Jehovah without wavering.
2 Examine me, O Jehovah, and prove me; Try my heart and my mind.
3 For thy lovingkindness is before mine eyes; And I have walked in thy truth.

(David had made progress with God, trusted in God, and walked in God's Truth. However, he was still being contrastive. He wanted to be judged and examined so he knew for sure if he was right before God.)

4 I have not sat with men of falsehood; Neither will I go in with dissemblers.
5 I hate the assembly of evil-doers, And will not sit with the wicked.
6 I will wash my hands in innocency: So will I compass thine altar, O Jehovah;
7 That I may make the voice of thanksgiving to be heard, And tell of all thy wondrous works.
8 Jehovah, I love the habitation of thy house, And the place where thy glory dwelleth.
9 Gather not my soul with sinners, Nor my life with men of blood;
10 In whose hands is wickedness, And their right hand is full of bribes.
11 But as for me, I will walk in mine integrity: Redeem me, and be merciful unto me.
12 My foot standeth in an even place: In the congregations will I bless Jehovah.

(The rest of this psalm listed effects of David trusting in God and walking in His Truth.)




Psalm 27

A Psalm of David.

1 Jehovah is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear? Jehovah is the strength of my life; Of whom shall I be afraid?

(David's faith in God was the strength of David's life. David feared God more than man.)

2 When evil-doers came upon me to eat up my flesh, Even mine adversaries and my foes, they stumbled and fell.
3 Though a host should encamp against me, My heart shall not fear: Though war should rise against me, Even then will I be confident.

(David proved he feared God more than man when his enemy came against him.)

4 One thing have I asked of Jehovah, that will I seek after; That I may dwell in the house of Jehovah all the days of my life, To behold the beauty of Jehovah, And to inquire in his temple.

(The thing David asked God and made a cause of his life was to dwell in God’s house for his whole life. David, the man after God’s own Heart, could not enter the temple because of him being the tenth generation of a bastard (Perez). The law that prevented David was from Deuteronomy 23:2.)

5 For in the day of trouble he will keep me secretly in his pavilion: In the covert of his tabernacle will he hide me; He will lift me up upon a rock.

(However, David knew even if he could not physically be in the temple, he would still have spiritual protection from God.)

6 And now shall my head be lifted up above mine enemies round about me. And I will offer in his tabernacle sacrifices of joy; I will sing, yea, I will sing praises unto Jehovah.
7 Hear, O Jehovah, when I cry with my voice: Have mercy also upon me, and answer me.
8 When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; My heart said unto thee, Thy face, Jehovah, will I seek.
9 Hide not thy face from me; Put not thy servant away in anger: Thou hast been my help; Cast me not off, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation.

(David recognized that God was his Helper and requested to continue to have His help.)

10 When my father and my mother forsake me, Then Jehovah will take me up.
11 Teach me thy way, O Jehovah; And lead me in a plain path, Because of mine enemies.

(David asked God to teach him God’s way.)

12 Deliver me not over unto the will of mine adversaries: For false witnesses are risen up against me, And such as breathe out cruelty.
13 I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of Jehovah In the land of the living.
14 Wait for Jehovah: Be strong, and let thy heart take courage; Yea, wait thou for Jehovah.

("Wait for Jehovah" was also translated as "Wait on the Lord." The word wait meant "to bind up, to be braided together"…this was covenantal. David was not just sitting around not doing anything. David was submitted to God, in word and deed.)




Psalm 28

A Psalm of David.

1 Unto thee, O Jehovah, will I call: My rock, be not thou deaf unto me; Lest, if thou be silent unto me, I become like them that go down into the pit.

(David desired to hear God's Voice.)

2 Hear the voice of my supplications, when I cry unto thee, When I lift up my hands toward thy holy oracle.
3 Draw me not away with the wicked, And with the workers of iniquity; That speak peace with their neighbors, But mischief is in their hearts.

(David did not want to be affected by deceitful people.)

4 Give them according to their work, and according to the wickedness of their doings: Give them after the operation of their hands; Render to them their desert.
5 Because they regard not the works of Jehovah, Nor the operation of his hands, He will break them down and not build them up.

(David appealed to God through Justice.)

6 Blessed be Jehovah, Because he hath heard the voice of my supplications.
7 Jehovah is my strength and my shield; My heart hath trusted in him, and I am helped: Therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; And with my song will I praise him.

(God was David's strength and shield because David trusted/had faith in God.)

8 Jehovah is their strength, And he is a stronghold of salvation to his anointed.
9 Save thy people, and bless thine inheritance: Be their shepherd also, and bear them up for ever.

(David asked God to be His people’s shepherd, their pastor.)




Psalm 29

A Psalm of David.

1 Ascribe unto Jehovah, O ye sons of the mighty, Ascribe unto Jehovah glory and strength.
2 Ascribe unto Jehovah the glory due unto his name; Worship Jehovah in holy array.

(David encouraged the reader/singer to give to God and to worship Him.)

3 The voice of Jehovah is upon the waters: The God of glory thundereth, Even Jehovah upon many waters.
4 The voice of Jehovah is powerful; The voice of Jehovah is full of majesty.
5 The voice of Jehovah breaketh the cedars; Yea, Jehovah breaketh in pieces the cedars of Lebanon.
6 He maketh them also to skip like a calf; Lebanon and Sirion like a young wild-ox.
7 The voice of Jehovah cleaveth the flames of fire.
8 The voice of Jehovah shaketh the wilderness; Jehovah shaketh the wilderness of Kadesh.
9 The voice of Jehovah maketh the hinds to calve, And strippeth the forests bare: And in his temple everything saith, Glory.

(The Voice of the Lord: was upon many waters, was powerful, was full of majesty, broke the cedars, divided the flames of fire, shook the wilderness. These were some effects of what God's Voice did. These were some of the personal experiences David had with the Voice of the Lord.)

10 Jehovah sat as King at the Flood; Yea, Jehovah sitteth as King for ever.
11 Jehovah will give strength unto his people; Jehovah will bless his people with peace.



Psalm 30

A Psalm; a Song at the Dedication of the House. A Psalm of David.

1 I will extol thee, O Jehovah; for thou hast raised me up, And hast not made my foes to rejoice over me.
2 O Jehovah my God, I cried unto thee, and thou hast healed me.
3 O Jehovah, thou hast brought up my soul from Sheol; Thou hast kept me alive, that I should not go down to the pit.

(David praised God for delivering him from his enemies.)

4 Sing praise unto Jehovah, O ye saints of his, And give thanks to his holy memorial name.
5 For his anger is but for a moment; His favor is for a life-time: Weeping may tarry for the night, But joy cometh in the morning.

(God’s anger was short term but His favor was long term. God would give (love) for eternity.)

6 As for me, I said in my prosperity, I shall never be moved.
7 Thou, Jehovah, of thy favor hadst made my mountain to stand strong: Thou didst hide thy face; I was troubled.
8 I cried to thee, O Jehovah; And unto Jehovah I made supplication:
9 What profit is there in my blood, when I go down to the pit? Shall the dust praise thee? shall it declare thy truth?

(David understood the importance of profitability to God.)

10 Hear, O Jehovah, and have mercy upon me: Jehovah, be thou my helper.
11 Thou hast turned for me my mourning into dancing; Thou hast loosed my sackcloth, and girded me with gladness;
12 To the end that my glory may sing praise to thee, and not be silent. O Jehovah my God, I will give thanks unto thee for ever.

(Was David referring to when he danced before God, before the Ark? - 2 Samuel 6:14)

(This post covered five psalms from David that declared the power of trusting in God and His Voice.)

Day 161

No comments:

Post a Comment