Day 167: Psalms 61-65

(The previous post covered five psalms from David that referenced his dealings with Saul and taking control of Israel.)

Psalm 61

For the Chief Musician; on a stringed instrument. A Psalm of David.

1 Hear my cry, O God; Attend unto my prayer.
2 From the end of the earth will I call unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.

(It was believed this psalm covered David's time in exile after Absalom's rebellion: 2 Samuel 15 to 2 Samuel 17. David was seeking guidance when his heart was overwhelmed. An overwhelmed heart in this case was David realizing he could not take on the enemy without God. David was humble.)

3 For thou hast been a refuge for me, A strong tower from the enemy.

(This was why David went to God when his heart was overwhelmed.)

4 I will dwell in thy tabernacle for ever: I will take refuge in the covert of thy wings. Selah

(Selah meant "pause and think about what you just read." The author wanted the reader to pause and become conscious of what was read.)

5 For thou, O God, hast heard my vows: Thou hast given me the heritage of those that fear thy name.
6 Thou wilt prolong the king's life; His years shall be as many generations.
7 He shall abide before God for ever: Oh prepare lovingkindness and truth, that they may preserve him.

(David knew he had eternal life.)

8 So will I sing praise unto thy name for ever, That I may daily perform my vows.

(The next psalm was also believed to cover the time of David's exile after Absalom's rebellion...)




Psalm 62

For the Chief Musician; after the manner of Jeduthan. A Psalm of David.

1 My soul waiteth in silence for God only: From him cometh my salvation.
2 He only is my rock and my salvation: He is my high tower; I shall not be greatly moved.
3 How long will ye set upon a man, That ye may slay him, all of you, Like a leaning wall, like a tottering fence?
4 They only consult to thrust him down from his dignity; They delight in lies; They bless with their mouth, but they curse inwardly. Selah

(The wicked lacked integrity and were hypocrites. Hypocrites say one thing and justify themselves when they do something different.)

5 My soul, wait thou in silence for God only; For my expectation is from him.
6 He only is my rock and my salvation: He is my high tower; I shall not be moved.
7 With God is my salvation and my glory: The rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God.
8 Trust in him at all times, ye people; Pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah

(Now David was speaking to the reader/singer, encouraging you to trust in God at all times.)

9 Surely men of low degree are vanity, and men of high degree are a lie: In the balances they will go up; They are together lighter than vanity.
10 Trust not in oppression, And become not vain in robbery: If riches increase, set not your heart thereon.

(Do not trust in oppression or in riches, trust in God.)

11 God hath spoken once, Twice have I heard this, That power belongeth unto God.
12 Also unto thee, O Lord, belongeth lovingkindness; For thou renderest to every man according to his work.

(God is Just. Eventually, we will all get exactly what we deserve. The timing of the next psalm was not known. It could have been when David was on the run during Absalom's rebellion...)




Psalm 63

A Psalm of David when he was in the wilderness of Judah.

1 O God, thou art my God; earnestly will I seek thee: My soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee, In a dry and weary land, where no water is.
2 So have I looked upon thee in the sanctuary, To see thy power and thy glory.
3 Because thy lovingkindness is better than life, My lips shall praise thee.

(One cause of David’s praise was that he believed God’s lovingkindness was better than being alive.)

4 So will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name.
5 My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness; And my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips;
6 When I remember thee upon my bed, And meditate on thee in the night-watches.

(David was fulfilled when he meditated on God in the night and in bed. A wise man once said that if you start going to bed with God, you will start waking up with Him as well.)

7 For thou hast been my help, And in the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice.
8 My soul followeth hard after thee: Thy right hand upholdeth me.
9 But those that seek my soul, to destroy it, Shall go into the lower parts of the earth.

(Seeking someone’s soul was a right what. However, if the why was to destroy it, it was wickedness.)

10 They shall be given over to the power of the sword: They shall be a portion for foxes.
11 But the king shall rejoice in God: Every one that sweareth by him shall glory; For the mouth of them that speak lies shall be stopped.

(The next psalm also covered an undetermined time while David was in exile...)




Psalm 64

For the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David.

1 Hear my voice, O God, in my complaint: Preserve my life from fear of the enemy.
2 Hide me from the secret counsel of evil-doers, From the tumult of the workers of iniquity;
3 Who have whet their tongue like a sword, And have aimed their arrows, even bitter words,
4 That they may shoot in secret places at the perfect: Suddenly do they shoot at him, and fear not.
5 They encourage themselves in an evil purpose; They commune of laying snares privily; They say, Who will see them?

(The enemies of David were encouraging each other to do evil. Abusers will often gather unto themselves people who will agree with them in order to feel justified in what they are doing.)

6 They search out iniquities; We have accomplished, say they, a diligent search: And the inward thought and the heart of every one is deep.
7 But God will shoot at them; With an arrow suddenly shall they be wounded.
8 So they shall be made to stumble, their own tongue being against them: All that see them shall wag the head.

(The wicked condemned themselves. Their own tongue (words) would be a witness against them.)

9 And all men shall fear; And they shall declare the work of God, And shall wisely consider of his doing.
10 The righteous shall be glad in Jehovah, and shall take refuge in him; And all the upright in heart shall glory.

(The righteous would be glad in the Lord. Gladness was an effect of the righteous.)




Psalm 65

For the Chief Musician. A Psalm. A song of David.

1 Praise waiteth for thee, O God, in Zion; And unto thee shall the vow be performed.
2 O thou that hearest prayer, Unto thee shall all flesh come.
3 Iniquities prevail against me: As for our transgressions, thou wilt forgive them.
4 Blessed is the man whom thou choosest, and causest to approach unto thee, That he may dwell in thy courts: We shall be satisfied with the goodness of thy house, Thy holy temple.

(David counted the man who could enter the temple as blessed. Remember, it was unlawful for David, being a tenth generation bastard, to enter the temple: Deuteronomy 23:2. This verse could also have referenced David being chosen to be king.)

5 By terrible things thou wilt answer us in righteousness, Oh God of our salvation, Thou that art the confidence of all the ends of the earth, And of them that are afar off upon the sea:

(God answered man by "terrible" things in Righteousness. The word terrible in this verse meant "fear, reverence"...the same Hebrew word used when speaking of "fearing God." In this verse, it explained to us that God answered with things that are worthy of fear (respect) because they were Righteous answers.)

6 Who by his strength setteth fast the mountains, Being girded about with might;
7 Who stilleth the roaring of the seas, The roaring of their waves, And the tumult of the peoples.
8 They also that dwell in the uttermost parts are afraid at thy tokens: Thou makest the outgoings of the morning and evening to rejoice.
9 Thou visitest the earth, and waterest it, Thou greatly enrichest it; The river of God is full of water: Thou providest them grain, when thou hast so prepared the earth.

(God provided abundantly…)

10 Thou waterest its furrows abundantly; Thou settlest the ridges thereof: Thou makest it soft with showers; Thou blessest the springing thereof.
11 Thou crownest the year with thy goodness; And thy paths drop fatness.
12 They drop upon the pastures of the wilderness; And the hills are girded with joy.
13 The pastures are clothed with flocks; The valleys also are covered over with grain; They shout for joy, they also sing.

(If God provided plenty for His earth, how much do you believe He would provide for His believers?)

(This post covered five psalms that referenced events during David's exile(s)...)

Day 168

No comments:

Post a Comment