Day 195: Ecclesiastes 1-3

(The Book of Ecclesiastes was the fourth of the five books that made up the poetic section of the Old Testament. Solomon wrote this book and it followed the Book of Proverbs which was mostly written by Solomon. The Book of Proverbs focused on the importance of understanding, managing emotions, the perspective of the king/judge, frustration associated with fools, interactions between people, and contrasting of the righteous with the wicked. The final two chapters of the Book of Proverbs could not have been written by Solomon because the first (Proverbs 30) focused on experiential lists that were too mundane for Solomon and the second (Proverbs 31), written by a woman, contained information Solomon clearly lacked. In fact, the Book of Ecclesiastes proved Solomon lacked this information.)

(The Book of Ecclesiastes was essentially Solomon's manifesto. If you want to read about the event that most likely caused Solomon to come to the conclusions he did in the Book of Ecclesiastes, read the Book of the Song of Solomon (only two posts) before you read this book.)

(Solomon wrote the Book of Ecclesiastes in his late years. During this time, Solomon was focused on the many wives who drew his heart away from God. Solomon was focused on effects (HAVE/DO) and this led him to believe that everything was vain (unprofitable). A key passage from another book of the Bible that will help us understand the causes for Solomon's circumstances came from the Prophet Ezekiel when he explained the causes for Sodom's judgment:

"Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom: pride, fulness of bread, and prosperous ease was in her and in her daughters; neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy." (Ezekiel 16:49)

These four causes of judgment against Sodom ran throughout the Book of Ecclesiastes. Solomon actually argued for all four of these causes of judgment. While you read the Book of Ecclesiastes, keep in mind the four causes of judgment against Sodom:
1) pride,
2) fullness of bread,
3) idleness of time (prosperous ease),
4) not strengthening the poor/needy.)

Ecclesiastes 1
1 The words of the Preacher, the son of David, king in Jerusalem.

(The word Preacher meant "collector (of sentences), public speaker, speaker in an assembly.")

2 Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher; vanity of vanities, all is vanity.

(The Preacher (Solomon) said all was vain. Vain meant "unprofitable." Realize, Solomon began this book with a conclusion. This was his "thesis statement." The rest of this book was him comparatively proving his point. He was not considering another possibility. In that way, the rest of this book read like the Book of Job before Elihu spoke...)

3 What profit hath man of all his labor wherein he laboreth under the sun?

(Solomon asked a rhetorical question. He already stated that all was vain so in his mind, this included any work a man did "under the sun." He's basically asking, "what's the point of all this work?")

4 One generation goeth, and another generation cometh; but the earth abideth for ever.

(He saw the earth as more long term than man. A focus on the physical.)

5 The sun also ariseth, and the sun goeth down, and hasteth to its place where it ariseth.
6 The wind goeth toward the south, and turneth about unto the north; it turneth about continually in its course, and the wind returneth again to its circuits.
7 All the rivers run into the sea, yet the sea is not full; unto the place whither the rivers go, thither they go again.

(He's saying that even the wind and the rivers really don't make progress. The wind blows in circles (circuits) and the rivers flow water that just returns back to the river to flow again.)

8 All things are full of weariness; man cannot utter it: the eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear filled with hearing.

(Eye and ear were not satisfied meant he was making the physical a cause, his focus.)

9 That which hath been is that which shall be; and that which hath been done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

(Again, he was focused on the physical: "under the sun." Here's a summary of verses 4-8, stating that really, history is merely repeating itself. He wasn't perceiving anything "new" and therefore concluded that everything was "vain.")

10 Is there a thing whereof it may be said, See, this is new? it hath been long ago, in the ages which were before us.
11 There is no remembrance of the former generations; neither shall there be any remembrance of the latter generations that are to come, among those that shall come after.

(He also stated that he doesn't remember what happened long ago, and in the future, those people won't remember what was happening now.)

12 I the Preacher was king over Israel in Jerusalem.
13 And I applied my heart to seek and to search out by wisdom concerning all that is done under heaven: it is a sore travail that God hath given to the sons of men to be exercised therewith.
14 I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and, behold, all is vanity and a striving after wind.

(He stated he had seen all and considered all. This was "pride" (the first listed cause of judgment). He was not willing to consider something new, something he had not already seen.)

15 That which is crooked cannot be made straight; and that which is wanting cannot be numbered.
16 I communed with mine own heart, saying, Lo, I have gotten me great wisdom above all that were before me in Jerusalem; yea, my heart hath had great experience of wisdom and knowledge.
17 And I applied my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also was a striving after wind.
18 For in much wisdom is much grief; and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

(Solomon stated that understanding was pointless and unprofitable. This was "mental idleness": the third listed cause of judgment (idleness of time). The first chapter showed Solomon had two of the four causes of judgment.)




Ecclesiastes 2
1 I said in my heart, Come now, I will prove thee with mirth; therefore enjoy pleasure: and, behold, this also was vanity.

(Solomon was seeking pleasure, an effect. No wonder he thought this was "vain.")

2 I said of laughter, It is mad; and of mirth, What doeth it?
3 I searched in my heart how to cheer my flesh with wine, my heart yet guiding me with wisdom, and how to lay hold on folly, till I might see what it was good for the sons of men that they should do under heaven all the days of their life.

(He even used wine as a method of "cheering his flesh." And when he had given up on wisdom, he made himself a fool (folly) to experience what "the sons of men" would experience all the days of their lives.)

4 I made me great works; I builded me houses; I planted me vineyards;

(I made…)

5 I made me gardens and parks, and I planted trees in them of all kinds of fruit;

(I made…)

6 I made me pools of water, to water therefrom the forest where trees were reared;

(I made…)

7 I bought men-servants and maid-servants, and had servants born in my house; also I had great possessions of herds and flocks, above all that were before me in Jerusalem;

(I bought…)

8 I gathered me also silver and gold, and the treasure of kings and of the provinces; I gat me men-singers and women-singers, and the delights of the sons of men, musical instruments, and that of all sorts.

(I gathered…Verses 4-8, Solomon showed that he was focused on strengthening himself. He had no consideration and was "not strengthening the poor/needy": the fourth listed cause of judgment.)

9 So I was great, and increased more than all that were before me in Jerusalem: also my wisdom remained with me.

(Solomon stated that these things (vs. 4-8) increased him more than anyone before him: "pride." He also stated that his wisdom remained with him, also translated as "wisdom never failed me." Having wisdom and acting wise were not the same thing. Were Solomon's actions wise?)

10 And whatsoever mine eyes desired I kept not from them; I withheld not my heart from any joy; for my heart rejoiced because of all my labor; and this was my portion from all my labor.

(Solomon focused on possessions (HAVE). He fulfilled whatever his eyes desired. Remember Genesis 3:6, Eve's three reasons for eating the fruit? - "good for food, pleasing to the eyes, able to make one wise." This chapter showed Solomon was focused on things pleasing to his eyes...)

11 Then I looked on all the works that my hands had wrought, and on the labor that I had labored to do; and, behold, all was vanity and a striving after wind, and there was no profit under the sun.

(Solomon saw everything he had as unprofitable.)

12 And I turned myself to behold wisdom, and madness, and folly: for what can the man do that cometh after the king? even that which hath been done long ago.

(Solomon focused on what he saw as the differences between the foolish and the wise. He was focused on "able to make one wise," like Eve...)

13 Then I saw that wisdom excelleth folly, as far as light excelleth darkness.
14 The wise man's eyes are in his head, and the fool walketh in darkness: and yet I perceived that one event happeneth to them all.
15 Then said I in my heart, As it happeneth to the fool, so will it happen even to me; and why was I then more wise? Then said I in my heart, that this also is vanity.

(...Solomon saw that whatever happened to a fool also happened to him. He did not see the benefit of having understanding and wisdom if the things that happened to a fool also happened to a man with understanding. Was Solomon considering the long term? Was Solomon making the same wrong conclusion as Job in Job 9?)

16 For of the wise man, even as of the fool, there is no remembrance for ever; seeing that in the days to come all will have been long forgotten. And how doth the wise man die even as the fool!

(Solomon was focused on the short term. He once again mentioned his belief that the wise would be forgotten just as the fools were. No one remembered a fool or the wise?!?! What was his definition of wise? The actions that he had done throughout the first chapter and a half of this book were not wise. Solomon had not been wise but thought he was.)

17 So I hated life, because the work that is wrought under the sun was grievous unto me; for all is vanity and a striving after wind.

(Solomon hated life because the work he did was grievous to him and he saw it as vain, like chasing the wind. Again, he only focused on the short term.)

18 And I hated all my labor wherein I labored under the sun, seeing that I must leave it unto the man that shall be after me.

(Solomon wanted the benefit of his work now. He did not want to give the fruit of his labor to others (not loving). He was focused on himself and the effects of his labor.)

19 And who knoweth whether he will be a wise man or a fool? yet will he have rule over all my labor wherein I have labored, and wherein I have showed myself wise under the sun. This also is vanity.
20 Therefore I turned about to cause my heart to despair concerning all the labor wherein I had labored under the sun.

(Solomon caused his own heart to despair concerning the work he had done. Solomon's attitude towards life was his own doing.)

21 For there is a man whose labor is with wisdom, and with knowledge, and with skilfulness; yet to a man that hath not labored therein shall he leave it for his portion. This also is vanity and a great evil.

(Solomon only saw the fruit of his labor as a physical benefit. He thought it was unprofitable to pass on physical things to someone who had not done the work.)

22 For what hath a man of all his labor, and of the striving of his heart, wherein he laboreth under the sun?
23 For all his days are but sorrows, and his travail is grief; yea, even in the night his heart taketh no rest. This also is vanity.

(Solomon was focused on his possessions: HAVE.)

24 There is nothing better for a man than that he should eat and drink, and make his soul enjoy good in his labor. This also I saw, that it is from the hand of God.

(Solomon blatantly stated that nothing was better for a man than eating and drinking..."good for food" (Eve). He saw these physical acts as the cause of his soul enjoying his work. He was focused on the physical and consuming more than what was needed or produced. This was "fullness of bread" (the second listed cause of judgment). This was a completely short term pleasure.)

25 For who can eat, or who can have enjoyment, more than I?

("Pride")

26 For to the man that pleaseth him God giveth wisdom, and knowledge, and joy; but to the sinner he giveth travail, to gather and to heap up, that he may give to him that pleaseth God. This also is vanity and a striving after wind.

(Solomon saw God acting Justly towards those who pleased God and saw those who sinned against God as vain. In two chapters, Solomon had covered all four causes of judgment and the three reasons Eve stated for eating the fruit. The wrong foundation had been completely established. Next, Solomon continued to build on this unprofitable foundation...)




Ecclesiastes 3
1 For everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven:
2 a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
3 a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
4 a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
5 a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
6 a time to seek, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
7 a time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
8 a time to love, and a time to hate; a time for war, and a time for peace.

(Solomon stated twenty-eight things that there was a "time" for. However, he had already stated that all was vain. Solomon was focused on limiting the unprofitability. This list was Solomon's attempt to say: do not do the right thing at the wrong time or the result will be even more vain (unprofitable) than it already was...)

9 What profit hath he that worketh in that wherein he laboreth?

(Solomon was stating, through a rhetorical question, that even doing the right thing at the right time did not result in a benefit that could be physically enjoyed by the laborer.)

10 I have seen the travail which God hath given to the sons of men to be exercised therewith.
11 He hath made everything beautiful in its time: also he hath set eternity in their heart, yet so that man cannot find out the work that God hath done from the beginning even to the end.

(Solomon was stating that God set eternity in the hearts of men but made it so it was unsearchable. This was the same as Job 3:23. Job struggled with this question "Why are we given the ability to understand and then prevented from understanding?" Solomon and Job thought knowing everything would make them happy. However, the Bible consistently showed that progress (growth) was what would make us happy, not reaching some imaginary finish line.)

12 I know that there is nothing better for them, than to rejoice, and to do good so long as they live.

(Solomon stated that he knew the only good in man was for him to rejoice and do good in this life. However, it was not faith unless we logically knew it and emotionally felt it. That was what led to actions. Solomon knew what was right and could say it. However, Solomon did not feel what was right and do it.)

13 And also that every man should eat and drink, and enjoy good in all his labor, is the gift of God.

("Fullness of bread" - "good for food" (Eve).)

14 I know that, whatsoever God doeth, it shall be for ever: nothing can be put to it, nor anything taken from it; and God hath done it, that men should fear before him.
15 That which is hath been long ago; and that which is to be hath long ago been: and God seeketh again that which is passed away.
16 And moreover I saw under the sun, in the place of justice, that wickedness was there; and in the place of righteousness, that wickedness was there.

(Did Solomon recognize the long term implications of Righteousness and Justice? Was Solomon making the same mistake Job made? If Solomon understood that Justice would be equaled out in the long term, would he have "strengthened the arm of the needy and poor" so that he would be profitable?)

17 I said in my heart, God will judge the righteous and the wicked; for there is a time there for every purpose and for every work.
18 I said in my heart, It is because of the sons of men, that God may prove them, and that they may see that they themselves are but as beasts.

(Solomon believed that God judged man so they knew they were but animals. In the Bible, animals/beasts did not have understanding. Solomon sounded a lot like Job...)

19 For that which befalleth the sons of men befalleth beasts; even one thing befalleth them: as the one dieth, so dieth the other; yea, they have all one breath; and man hath no preeminence above the beasts: for all is vanity.
20 All go unto one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again.

(Another "Job-like" statement: Solomon stated that man had no preeminence over beasts/animals. All were vain and all were dust.)

21 Who knoweth the spirit of man, whether it goeth upward, and the spirit of the beast, whether it goeth downward to the earth?
22 Wherefore I saw that there is nothing better, than that a man should rejoice in his works; for that is his portion: for who shall bring him back to see what shall be after him?

(Short term mentality. It did not seem as if Solomon had any understanding of Justice being equaled out in the long term. Solomon sought out happiness as a cause. What are the causes of happiness? Recent happiness studies have shown that people get a good feeling that lasts at most 2-3 days from buying things and doing fun activities. Possessions and activities lead to a good feeling that lasts as long as our short term memories. Solomon made the same conclusion in these first three chapters. What do happiness studies say are the causes of happiness? Currently, 50% of happiness is correlated to people helping other people. Helping and affirming others is responsible for half of the cause of long term happiness. Notice, this concept never occurred to Solomon...)

(This post covered Solomon's unprofitable foundation that the Book of Ecclesiastes was built upon.)

Day 196

2 comments:

  1. chapter 2

    vs 18 And I hated all my labor wherein I labored under the sun, seeing that I must leave it unto the man that shall be after me.

    even though he's talking about passing on his inheritance to another king, it seems like this heart attitude would also fall under "not strengthening the hand of the poor/needy." what do you think?

    nathaniel wayne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say the heart attitude for NOT helping the poor and needy is lack of compassion and maybe even greed. The heart attitude for NOT leaving it to another king is jealousy/envy.

    ReplyDelete