Day 334: 2 Corinthians 10-13

(The previous post concluded with the Theme of chapter 9: Paul focused on the giving of physical resources. Paul showed that giving not only involved an action but also an attitude (cheer). Paul showed that God responded to our giving through Justice.)

2 Corinthians 10

(This chapter was the most important chapter written in the Bible regarding spiritual warfare, specifically offensive spiritual warfare. Ephesians 6 was also concerned with spiritual warfare but was specific to defensive spiritual warfare.)

1 Now I Paul myself entreat you by the meekness and gentleness of Christ, I who in your presence am lowly among you, but being absent am of good courage toward you:
2 yea, I beseech you, that I may not when present show courage with the confidence wherewith I count to be bold against some, who count of us as if we walked according to the flesh.

(Paul, who was continually humble in the presence of the Corinthians, was going to take this time writing to them to be of good (Right and Just) courage toward them. He was going to be bold. However, he began this section making the point that he did not approach people as if he was physically strong, like did those that walked according to the flesh.)

3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh

(Doctrine: The war that believers face is spiritual. We walk in the flesh but we do not war according to the flesh. This sentence ought to convict people who focus on physical strength (yelling, shaking, contracting muscles, etc.) that they are not warring according to the spirit.)

4 (for the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but mighty before God to the casting down of strongholds),

(Not only is the war spiritual but even the weapons of our warfare are spiritual ("not of the flesh") and the weapons are mighty through God to the pulling down of strongholds: "a castle, stronghold, fortress, fastness, anything on which one relies, of the arguments and reasonings by which a disputant endeavors to fortify his opinion and defend it against his opponent."

A stronghold is a source of resources/supplies within the enemy's territory. A stronghold is not a warehouse on your side of the battle line. A stronghold would be a warehouse you can access that is on the other side of the battle line. These weapons are able to cast down sources of supplies for the enemy that are on our side of the battle line, which is in our brain.)

5 casting down imaginations, and every high thing that is exalted against the knowledge of God, and bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ;

(Doctrine: Spiritual warfare is according to thoughts and words. Our weapons are mighty through God, to the casting down of imaginations (thought) and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge (thought) of God. The weapons that are mighty through God will bring into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ. Imaginations are made of thoughts; thoughts are made of words.

Spiritual warfare is made up of WORDS and SENTENCES.

Spiritual warfare is not physical. Throughout the Gospels and the Book of Acts, offensive spiritual warfare was always done with words and sentences.)

6 and being in readiness to avenge all disobedience, when your obedience shall be made full.

(Offensive spiritual warfare will happen when your obedience is made full. We must have a good thought process in order to do offensive spiritual warfare. Also, the Holy Spirit initiates offensive spiritual warfare: we need to be obedient (which is grace) and then the Holy Spirit can flow through us to do offensive spiritual warfare.)

7 Ye look at the things that are before your face. If any man trusteth in himself that he is Christ's, let him consider this again with himself, that, even as he is Christ's, so also are we.
8 For though I should glory somewhat abundantly concerning our authority (which the Lord gave for building you up, and not for casting you down), I shall not be put to shame:

(Paul's authority was given for the edification of others.)

9 that I may not seem as if I would terrify you by my letters.
10 For, His letters, they say, are weighty and strong; but his bodily presence is weak, and his speech of no account.
11 Let such a one reckon this, that, what we are in word by letters when we are absent, such are we also in deed when we are present.

(Paul again contrasted his weak physical approach with his strong spiritual approach through words. Real strength, power, and authority come by the words we use. Do you understand the words you use? Can you define the words you use? Are those definitions God's definitions?)

12 For we are not bold to number or compare ourselves with certain of them that commend themselves: but they themselves, measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves with themselves, are without understanding.

(Paul blatantly stated that comparing yourselves to others and measuring yourself against others was foolish. Those who did this were "without understanding." Measuring yourself against another person denies the principle of uniqueness. We ought to measure ourselves against ourselves. When is the last time you grew? When is the last time you changed a deeply held belief?)

13 But we will not glory beyond our measure, but according to the measure of the province which God apportioned to us as a measure, to reach even unto you.

(Here, Paul stated our measure for glory ought to be the measure God has appointed to us: who God created you to be.)

14 For we stretch not ourselves overmuch, as though we reached not unto you: for we came even as far as unto you in the gospel of Christ:
15 not glorying beyond our measure, that is, in other men's labors; but having hope that, as your faith groweth, we shall be magnified in you according to our province unto further abundance,

(Paul hoped that his actions would be magnified by being invested into others. He wanted his actions to help others grow.)

16 so as to preach the gospel even unto the parts beyond you, and not to glory in another's province in regard of things ready to our hand.
17 But he that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

(Paul referenced Jeremiah 9:23-24. He also referenced this verse from Jeremiah in 1 Corinthians 1:31, the end of his first chapter of his first letter to the Corinthians.)

18 For not he that commendeth himself is approved, but whom the Lord commendeth.

(You are approved by being commended by God (spiritual), not being commended by you (physical). This chapter ended the way it began: Paul focused the reader on the spiritual, not the physical.)

(Theme of Chapter 10: Paul presented the principles of offensive spiritual warfare. It is initiated by the Holy Spirit once our obedience is made full by having a good thought process. Offensive spiritual warfare is not physical at all. It is done with words and sentences because the battle is over the thoughts in our brains.)




2 Corinthians 11
1 Would that ye could bear with me in a little foolishness: but indeed ye do bear with me.

(Paul gave a disclaimer. He was very intentional with his words and was willing to consider he could be wrong. About what?)

2 For I am jealous over you with a godly jealousy: for I espoused you to one husband, that I might present you as a pure virgin to Christ.
3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve in his craftiness, your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity and the purity that is toward Christ.

(After Paul gave the disclaimer in asking the Corinthians to bear with him in a little foolishness, he said he feared that it was possible their minds may be corrupted. This was a continuation of the theme from the previous chapter: offensive spiritual warfare is done with a good thought process with words.)

4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we did not preach, or if ye receive a different spirit, which ye did not receive, or a different gospel, which ye did not accept, ye do well to bear with him.
5 For I reckon that I am not a whit behind the very chiefest apostles.

(Paul did not see himself as the chiefest Apostle. Paul was humble.)

6 But though I be rude in speech, yet am I not in knowledge; nay, in every way have we made this manifest unto you in all things.
7 Or did I commit a sin in abasing myself that ye might be exalted, because I preached to you the gospel of God for nought?

(Paul asked if he had offended them by being humble.)

8 I robbed other churches, taking wages of them that I might minister unto you;
9 and when I was present with you and was in want, I was not a burden on any man; for the brethren, when they came from Macedonia, supplied the measure of my want; and in everything I kept myself from being burdensome unto you, and so will I keep myself.

(Paul made sure he was not a burden to the Corinthians.)

10 As the truth of Christ is in me, no man shall stop me of this glorying in the regions of Achaia.
11 Wherefore? because I love you not? God knoweth.
12 But what I do, that I will do, that I may cut off occasion from them that desire an occasion; that wherein they glory, they may be found even as we.

(Paul was focused on doing God's Will. Paul was focused on loving the Corinthians: the right how.)

13 For such men are false apostles, deceitful workers, fashioning themselves into apostles of Christ.
14 And no marvel; for even Satan fashioneth himself into an angel of light.

(Do not marvel over false apostles because Satan himself transformed into an angel of light. This spoke to the importance of knowing and doing a right how/why. Satan had a right what (angel of light) with a wrong or no how/why. Satan was/is a deceiver.)

15 It is no great thing therefore if his ministers also fashion themselves as ministers of righteousness, whose end shall be according to their works.

(It is easy then for Satan's ministers/servants to also have a right what with a wrong or no how/why. This verse stated that those who deceived others were doing Satan's work, whether they were aware of it or not. Satan's work is deception.)

16 I say again, let no man think me foolish; but if ye do, yet as foolish receive me, that I also may glory a little.
17 That which I speak, I speak not after the Lord, but as in foolishness, in this confidence of glorying.
18 Seeing that many glory after the flesh, I will glory also.
19 For ye bear with the foolish gladly, being wise yourselves.
20 For ye bear with a man, if he bringeth you into bondage, if he devoureth you, if he taketh you captive, if he exalteth himself, if he smiteth you on the face.

(Paul was speaking about the physical and calling it "foolishness.")

(Verses 21-27: Paul continued to speak "foolishness," this time concerning himself and the Israelites/believers, in order to prove a point.)

21 I speak by way of disparagement, as though we had been weak. Yet whereinsoever any is bold (I speak in foolishness), I am bold also.
22 Are they Hebrews? so am I. Are they Israelites? so am I. Are they the seed of Abraham? so am I.
23 Are they ministers of Christ? (I speak as one beside himself) I more; in labors more abundantly, in prisons more abundantly, in stripes above measure, in deaths oft.

(Paul was comparing himself according to physical attributes with others who the Corinthians could be tempted to follow, including themselves. Paul was of the seed of Abraham (Hebrew/Israelite) that was a minister of Christ. Less than halfway through Paul speaking "foolishness" he reminded the reader that he was speaking foolishness ("I speak as one beside himself"). It seemed that Paul did not enjoy doing this but did so to prove a point that would benefit the Corinthians.)

24 Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one.
25 Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day have I been in the deep;
26 in journeyings often, in perils of rivers, in perils of robbers, in perils from my countrymen, in perils from the Gentiles, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren;
27 in labor and travail, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness.

(Paul described the physical suffering he endured as a way for people to know they should not boast. If anyone was to boast it would be Paul and when Paul did, he qualified it by stating it was "foolishness.")

28 Besides those things that are without, there is that which presseth upon me daily, anxiety for all the churches.
29 Who is weak, and I am not weak? who is caused to stumble, and I burn not?
30 If I must needs glory, I will glory of the things that concern my weakness.

(If Paul did boast, it would be in his weakness. Why? Because when Paul was weak, he was strong through grace.)

31 The God and Father of the Lord Jesus, he who is blessed for evermore knoweth that I lie not.
32 In Damascus the governor under Aretas the king guarded the city of the Damascenes in order to take me:
33 and through a window was I let down in a basket by the wall, and escaped his hands.

(Theme of Chapter 11: Paul qualified his presentation of his physical attributes by calling it "foolishness." Paul presented all of his physical qualifications to humble the Corinthians, and then stated that he would not boast of his strengths, but of his weaknesses.)




2 Corinthians 12
1 I must needs glory, though it is not expedient; but I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord.

(Paul knew it was not profitable to glory in himself. Remember, in the previous chapter Paul qualified all the glory for himself (excluding his weakness) by stating it was "foolishness." However, Paul needed to speak of visions and revelations to the church in Corinth. He used the previous chapters to set an important context: The spiritual was more important than the physical. Paul had more to boast of physically than the Corinthians but would only boast of his weaknesses.

Important point: Paul was not boasting about himself at all. That was the context of the following verses...)

2 I know a man in Christ, fourteen years ago (whether in the body, I know not; or whether out of the body, I know not; God knoweth), such a one caught up even to the third heaven.

(Paul knew a man (himself) who was taken up to the third heaven. Paul, being humble, did not testify of himself regarding this story. This was why Paul said it was a man he knew, which would have included him knowing himself. If he had said it was himself, he would have been boasting and contradicting the previous two chapters.

Doctrine: There were three realms known as "heaven" in the Bible:
-The most common would be the eternal abode of God, angels, and the redeemed. This was what Paul referred to as the "third heaven" here in 2 Corinthians 12:2. Also, Satan and his minions have access to this realm. This realm is territory that only someone with the Holy Spirit dwelling in their heart, and great understanding of spiritual warfare, should claim the authority to be combative.
-Next, the word heaven referred to what we call "outer space." Genesis 1:14-18 spoke of this firmament of heaven where the sun, moon, and stars were placed. This would be the "second heaven".
-Finally, the word heaven referred to the sky. Psalm 19:1 stated: "The heavens declare the glory of God; And the firmament showeth his handiwork." The word heavens in this verse meant "visible heavens, sky." The same was true for Genesis 1:28-30 when it spoke of the birds of the heavens. This would/could be referred to as the "first heaven.")

3 And I know such a man (whether in the body, or apart from the body, I know not; God knoweth),
4 how that he was caught up into Paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.

(The "third heaven" was called Paradise. Paul did not know if he bodily went to Paradise or spiritually. Paul heard unspeakable words that were unlawful for him to utter. Paul had revelation that he could not blatantly divulge because it would violate God's Commands. This section was referenced during the commentary for the Book of Ephesians because that book was Paul's general explanation of the meaning of life he blatantly received during the time referenced here but could never blatantly reveal.)

5 On behalf of such a one will I glory: but on mine own behalf I will not glory, save in my weaknesses.

(Critical point: Paul reiterated he would not glory/boast. Paul only gloried in his weaknesses.)

6 For if I should desire to glory, I shall not be foolish; for I shall speak the truth: but I forbear, lest any man should account of me above that which he seeth me to be, or heareth from me.

(Paul reiterated two more times that he would not glory/boast. Paul just stated three times in two sentences that he would not boast. Remember this because, believe it or not, some public teachers and pastors today completely forget this point during their interpretation of the next verse...)

7 And by reason of the exceeding greatness of the revelations, that I should not be exalted overmuch, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, that I should not be exalted overmuch.

(God allowed a messenger of Satan to "buffet" (to strike with the fist, give one a blow with the fist) Paul so that he would not be exalted above measure. All we know about this was Paul called it "a thorn in the flesh." It could have been a physical malady or limitation.

*Paul received this thorn so that other people would not exalt him.
*This thorn was not so that Paul did not exalt himself.

Paul had made it clear that he did not desire to exalt himself. Anyone who teaches that Paul would have boasted of himself, just called Paul a liar, three times. This thorn in the flesh would cause people to respect Paul but not think he was perfect.)

8 Concerning this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.

(Paul asked God for the thorn to be removed three times.)

9 And he hath said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my power is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

(The Lord told him that His grace was sufficient because God's strength is made perfect in weakness. This meant that because of the thorn, Paul would have to rely on God more through grace. Notice, this chapter began with Paul receiving revelation, which was not a sin. We have shown that Paul did not boast.

Critical point: Paul had done nothing wrong in this account.

This verse proved that "unmerited favor" couldn't be the definition of grace. Some people try to make grace into "unmerited favor" by stating Paul sinned. Looking at the context of the previous two chapters, we can see Paul set up this story by repeatedly making the point that God is strongest through a person who is weak, that God's grace works through a person's humility.

The Mind/Soul and the Holy Spirit need to work through a person's flesh. This verse showed that the Holy Spirit comes out strongest through a person where their flesh is weakest, which is grace: "the divine influence upon the heart, and its reflection in the life."

An additional thought concerning this chapter was that Paul being exalted overly much would lead to others giving to him, and Paul not having as much Reward. God's plan to cause people not to exalt him overly much would result in more Reward for Paul, which was a better plan for Paul than Paul's plan of removing the thorn.)

10 Wherefore I take pleasure in weaknesses, in injuries, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

(Paul blatantly stated that he took pleasure in his weaknesses. If these weaknesses were sin (e.g., boasting) then Paul would be saying he took pleasure in sinning. Clearly, this chapter could not be interpreted that Paul did something wrong, otherwise, Paul's message would be contradictory. Paul stated why he took pleasure in weakness: because when he was weak (in the flesh) God was strong through grace.)

11 I am become foolish: ye compelled me; for I ought to have been commended of you: for in nothing was I behind the very chiefest apostles, though I am nothing.
12 Truly the signs of an apostle were wrought among you in all patience, by signs and wonders and mighty works.
13 For what is there wherein ye were made inferior to the rest of the churches, except it be that I myself was not a burden to you? forgive me this wrong.

(Paul closed this discussion with a qualifier: Paul presented this "foolish" perspective because the Corinthians compelled him. Paul reiterated that he was "nothing." Clearly, Paul was willing to consider he was wrong, and he actually did consider he was wrong. If not, Paul would not have stated "forgive me this wrong.")

14 Behold, this is the third time I am ready to come to you; and I will not be a burden to you: for I seek not yours, but you: for the children ought not to lay up for the parents, but the parents for the children.
15 And I will most gladly spend and be spent for your souls. If I love you more abundantly, am I loved the less?

(Paul did not want to be a burden to the Corinthians, but wanted to bear their burdens. The more Paul loved them, the less he was loved.)

16 But be it so, I did not myself burden you; but, being crafty, I caught you with guile.

(Paul caught them with guile (craft, deceit). This could be why Paul was less loved by them. Paul would have confronted them which may have caused them to falsely believe that Paul was not acting in their best interest which would cause them to stop loving Paul. That was the theme from the beginning of this letter: Paul's loving correction caused the Corinthians to feel sorrow, initially.)

17 Did I take advantage of you by any one of them whom I have sent unto you?
18 I exhorted Titus, and I sent the brother with him. Did Titus take any advantage of you? walked we not in the same spirit? walked we not in the same steps?
19 Ye think all this time that we are excusing ourselves unto you. In the sight of God speak we in Christ. But all things, beloved, are for your edifying.

(Paul made sure the Corinthians also knew none of the people Paul sent to them took advantage of the Corinthians. They spoke before God in Christ and they did all things for the edifying of the Corinthians. Paul closed this chapter warning them of having the same problems they had which caused Paul to write the previous letter...)

20 For I fear, lest by any means, when I come, I should find you not such as I would, and should myself be found of you such as ye would not; lest by any means there should be strife, jealousy, wraths, factions, backbitings, whisperings, swellings, tumults;
21 lest again when I come my God should humble me before you, and I should mourn for many of them that have sinned heretofore, and repented not of the uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness which they committed.

(Theme of Chapter 12: Paul shared visions and revelations to illustrate that he gloried in weaknesses because it was through these weaknesses that God could be strong through him via the Holy Spirit (grace). Paul repeatedly made the point that he and the people he sent were not a burden to the Corinthians, but actually did everything for the edifying of the Corinthians.)




2 Corinthians 13
1 This is the third time I am coming to you. At the mouth of two witnesses or three shall every word established.
2 I have said beforehand, and I do say beforehand, as when I was present the second time, so now, being absent, to them that have sinned heretofore, and to all the rest, that, if I come again, I will not spare;
3 seeing that ye seek a proof of Christ that speaketh in me; who to you-ward is not weak, but is powerful in you:
4 for he was crucified through weakness, yet he liveth through the power of God. For we also are weak in him, but we shall live with him through the power of God toward you.

(Christ was crucified through weakness (humbling Himself), yet Christ lives by the power of God. We also are weak in Christ but live by the power of God.)

5 Try your own selves, whether ye are in the faith; prove your own selves. Or know ye not as to your own selves, that Jesus Christ is in you? unless indeed ye be reprobate.

(Examine yourselves (think contrastively, be humble). Prove yourselves: Are your actions those of a believer?)

6 But I hope that ye shall know that we are not reprobate.

(The word reprobate in both of the previous two verses was the same word that was translated as castaway in 1 Corinthians 9:27. This word referred to a coin that represented one value, yet was less because some of the weight was shaved off. The actual value was less than what it appeared to be. In these two verses, Paul encouraged the Corinthians to prove themselves, to examine themselves to see if they were actually what they appeared to be. Paul continued to use this word reprobate...)

7 Now we pray to God that ye do no evil; not that we may appear approved, but that ye may do that which is honorable, though we be as reprobate.

(Paul blatantly gave the definition of reprobate as "appearing to be approved, but actually not being what you appeared to be.")

8 For we can do nothing against the truth, but for the truth.
9 For we rejoice, when we are weak, and ye are strong: this we also pray for, even your perfecting.

(Paul prayed for their perfection, that everyone would reach their maximum profitability: actually be worth what they were capable of and appeared to be.)

10 For this cause I write these things while absent, that I may not when present deal sharply, according to the authority which the Lord gave me for building up, and not for casting down.

(Paul wrote this final exhortation with the intent of building up, not of tearing down. Paul wanted people not to end up in sorrow like they had with his previous letter to the Corinthians. Next, Paul closed this letter...)

11 Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfected; be comforted; be of the same mind; live in peace: and the God of love and peace shall be with you.
12 Salute one another with a holy kiss.
13 All the saints salute you.
14 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit, be with you all.

(Paul wrote 2 Corinthians somewhere in Macedonia (most likely Philippi), while Paul was on his way to make another visit to Corinth. This would be during his third missionary journey, during a part of which Luke said very little (Acts 20:1-6). This was the third letter of the section known as the Pauline Epistles. It was placed third because it dealt with the church in Corinth's response to the previous book in this section: 1 Corinthians. Specifically, Paul wrote this letter to the church he founded in Corinth in order to comfort those who repented because of the rebukes and corrections of the previous letter. This letter dealt with more mature Doctrines. In fact, of all the Pauline Epistles, I believe this is the least read and quoted today because of the maturity required to understand the Doctrine that was presented.)

Day 335

7 comments:

  1. 10:12

    Commentary.

    I believe the word ‘changed’ should be altered to ‘challenged’. The current word is not wrong, but I feel it is out of sync with humility. Since being humble is the ability to consider you might be wrong, rather than BE wrong, I think it is appropriate to ‘challenge’ our deeply held beliefs and consider they might be wrong, rather than assume they are and seek a different belief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your definition of humility. However, from my experience, if I am humble and growing it will lead me to CHANGING a deeply held belief...unless there is a time on this earth when I no longer am wrong. I know for me, that is NOT the case!

      Delete
    2. Very true!

      Just the sheer odds of someone growing to the point where they can’t grow any more has got to be astronomical!

      Delete
  2. 10:18

    I believe this is talking about someone else facilitating your purpose and progress, rather than you facilitating your own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 11:33

    In Acts we see that Paul was lowered through a hole in the wall. That the Jews watched the gates and conspired to kill him.....
    What is not said there is that the GOVERNOR was watching! That the king himself was in agreement.

    The passage in acts seemed to me like a few bad seeds were being ‘uppity’ and got their gumption fired up. And the result that I interpreted was that there were a couple of guys hanging out ready to end Paul. It now seems likely the entire city was against him!

    ReplyDelete