Day 233: Jeremiah 31-33

(The previous post covered warnings about, and judgments on, false prophets. Also, prophecies that referred to the end of the Tribulation...the battle of Armageddon. The next chapter continued from this same point in time...)

Jeremiah 31

(Verses 1-9: the restoration of Israel.)

1 At that time, saith Jehovah, will I be the God of all the families of Israel, and they shall be my people.

(The time mentioned here was when Israel will be regathered during the Millennium.)

2 Thus saith Jehovah, The people that were left of the sword found favor in the wilderness; even Israel, when I went to cause him to rest.

(Israel found favor from God while in the wilderness: Babylon.)

3 Jehovah appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.
4 Again will I build thee, and thou shalt be built, O virgin of Israel: again shalt thou be adorned with thy tabrets, and shalt go forth in the dances of them that make merry.
5 Again shalt thou plant vineyards upon the mountains of Samaria; the planters shall plant, and shall enjoy the fruit thereof.

(Samaria was the capital of Israel when the nation was divided. Samaria being included in the regathering proved this was not only Judah but all of Israel.)

6 For there shall be a day, that the watchmen upon the hills of Ephraim shall cry, Arise ye, and let us go up to Zion unto Jehovah our God.

(The Israelites will all once again recognize Jerusalem (Zion) as God's city.)

7 For thus saith Jehovah, Sing with gladness for Jacob, and shout for the chief of the nations: publish ye, praise ye, and say, O Jehovah, save thy people, the remnant of Israel.
8 Behold, I will bring them from the north country, and gather them from the uttermost parts of the earth, and with them the blind and the lame, the woman with child and her that travaileth with child together: a great company shall they return hither.
9 They shall come with weeping; and with supplications will I lead them: I will cause them to walk by rivers of waters, in a straight way wherein they shall not stumble; for I am a father to Israel, and Ephraim is my first-born.

(The Israelites from all over the world will be gathered. This will be an extremely emotional time for God's people.)

10 Hear the word of Jehovah, O ye nations, and declare it in the isles afar off; and say, He that scattered Israel will gather him, and keep him, as shepherd doth his flock.

(The Gentiles were called to take part in the regathering of Israel.)

11 For Jehovah hath ransomed Jacob, and redeemed him from the hand of him that was stronger than he.

(God ransomed (delivered) Jacob/Israel and redeemed (bought back) him from the stronger nations, such as Babylon who was physically stronger.)

12 And they shall come and sing in the height of Zion, and shall flow unto the goodness of Jehovah, to the grain, and to the new wine, and to the oil, and to the young of the flock and of the herd: and their soul shall be as a watered garden; and they shall not sorrow any more at all.
13 Then shall the virgin rejoice in the dance, and the young men and the old together; for I will turn their mourning into joy, and will comfort them, and make them rejoice from their sorrow.

(The people will enjoy a joyful and fruitful time.)

14 And I will satiate the soul of the priests with fatness, and my people shall be satisfied with my goodness, saith Jehovah.
15 Thus saith Jehovah: A voice is heard in Ramah, lamentation, and bitter weeping, Rachel weeping for her children; she refuseth to be comforted for her children, because they are not.

(Prophetic verse: Matthew 2:17-18 quoted this verse in response to Herod killing the children two years old and younger.)

16 Thus saith Jehovah: Refrain thy voice from weeping, and thine eyes from tears; for thy work shall be rewarded, saith Jehovah; and they shall come again from the land of the enemy.
17 And there is hope for thy latter end, saith Jehovah; and thy children shall come again to their own border.
18 I have surely heard Ephraim bemoaning himself thus, Thou hast chastised me, and I was chastised, as a calf unaccustomed to the yoke: turn thou me, and I shall be turned; for thou art Jehovah my God.
19 Surely after that I was turned, I repented; and after that I was instructed, I smote upon my thigh: I was ashamed, yea, even confounded, because I did bear the reproach of my youth.

(The usage of Ephraim here referred to Israel. Israel repented.)

20 Is Ephraim my dear son? is he a darling child? for as often as I speak against him, I do earnestly remember him still: therefore my heart yearneth for him; I will surely have mercy upon him, saith Jehovah.

(God never forgot Israel, even during the times He spoke against him. God yearned for Israel and will have mercy upon him.)

21 Set thee up waymarks, make thee guide-posts; set thy heart toward the highway, even the way by which thou wentest: turn again, O virgin of Israel, turn again to these thy cities.

(The waymarks and guide-posts were used as symbols, like street signs, so travelers on the highway would know where to go.)

22 How long wilt thou go hither and thither, O thou backsliding daughter? for Jehovah hath created a new thing in the earth: a woman shall encompass a man.

(The woman (Israel) will come back to the man (God)…Bride (Church) and Husband (Christ)?)

23 Thus saith Jehovah of hosts, the God of Israel, Yet again shall they use this speech in the land of Judah and in the cities thereof, when I shall bring again their captivity: Jehovah bless thee, O habitation of righteousness, O mountain of holiness.
24 And Judah and all the cities thereof shall dwell therein together, the husbandmen, and they that go about with flocks.
25 For I have satiated the weary soul, and every sorrowful soul have I replenished.
26 Upon this I awaked, and beheld; and my sleep was sweet unto me.
27 Behold, the days come, saith Jehovah, that I will sow the house of Israel and the house of Judah with the seed of man, and with the seed of beast.
28 And it shall come to pass that, like as I have watched over them to pluck up and to break down and to overthrow and to destroy and to afflict, so will I watch over them to build and to plant, saith Jehovah.

(Just as God watched over Israel during their judgment, God will watch over them to build and plant, to be profitable.)

29 In those days they shall say no more, The fathers have eaten sour grapes, and the children's teeth are set on edge.
30 But every one shall die for his own iniquity: every man that eateth the sour grapes, his teeth shall be set on edge.

(Because God is Just, every man will be judged for their own iniquity.)

31 Behold, the days come, saith Jehovah, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
32 not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was a husband unto them, saith Jehovah.

(God would make a new Covenant not according to the Covenant that was broken by the Israelites. 1 Peter 1:10 referenced the next verse...)

33 But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith Jehovah: I will put my law in their inward parts, and in their heart will I write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people:

(Paul referenced this verse twice in his letter to the Hebrews. The phrase "inward parts" was translated as "mind" in Paul's letter. The Greek word for "mind" in this verse was dianoia. It was composed of two Greek words that meant "the channel through which the Mind/Soul operates"...which is the conscious brain!

The word brain is a relatively new word and was created more than a thousand years after the New Testament was written. The laws being written on the heart would be as an effect of the person intentionally choosing to allow this influence in the conscious brain to come out in their actions.)

34 and they shall teach no more every man his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, Know Jehovah; for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith Jehovah: for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin will I remember no more.

(God would put His Law in the hearts (grace via the Holy Spirit) of Israel as an effect of Israel choosing to let what they knew in their conscious brain come out in their actions. This also applied to Gentiles: "for they shall all know me." As stated above: Hebrews 8:8-12 and Hebrews 10:16-17 referenced the previous four verses.)

35 Thus saith Jehovah, who giveth the sun for a light by day, and the ordinances of the moon and of the stars for a light by night, who stirreth up the sea, so that the waves thereof roar; Jehovah of hosts is his name:
36 If these ordinances depart from before me, saith Jehovah, then the seed of Israel also shall cease from being a nation before me for ever.

(Israel will be God's nation for eternity.)

37 Thus saith Jehovah: If heaven above can be measured, and the foundations of the earth searched out beneath, then will I also cast off all the seed of Israel for all that they have done, saith Jehovah.
38 Behold, the days come, saith Jehovah, that the city shall be built to Jehovah from the tower of Hananel unto the gate of the corner.

(Jerusalem would be rebuilt…)

39 And the measuring line shall go out further straight onward unto the hill Gareb, and shall turn about unto Goah.
40 And the whole valley of the dead bodies and of the ashes, and all the fields unto the brook Kidron, unto the corner of the horse gate toward the east, shall be holy unto Jehovah; it shall not be plucked up, nor thrown down any more for ever.

(Furthermore, Zechariah 14:21 stated not only would the city be holy unto Jehovah, but every pot and pan in Jerusalem would be Holy unto Jehovah.)




Jeremiah 32
1 The word that came to Jeremiah from Jehovah in the tenth year of Zedekiah king of Judah, which was the eighteenth year of Nebuchadrezzar.
2 Now at that time the king of Babylon's army was besieging Jerusalem; and Jeremiah the prophet was shut up in the court of the guard, which was in the king of Judah's house.

(The Word of God to Jeremiah while he was in prison...)

3 For Zedekiah king of Judah had shut him up, saying, Wherefore dost thou prophesy, and say, Thus saith Jehovah, Behold, I will give this city into the hand of the king of Babylon, and he shall take it;
4 and Zedekiah king of Judah shall not escape out of the hand of the Chaldeans, but shall surely be delivered into the hand of the king of Babylon, and shall speak with him mouth to mouth, and his eyes shall behold his eyes;
5 and he shall bring Zedekiah to Babylon, and there shall he be until I visit him, saith Jehovah: though ye fight with the Chaldeans, ye shall not prosper?

(Zedekiah had Jeremiah put in prison because of the prophecies that Jeremiah spoke about Judah being completely taken captive by Babylon. Zedekiah was the twentieth king of Judah. He was put in place by Nebuchadnezzar after portions of Judah had been twice taken into Babylon.)

6 And Jeremiah said, The word of Jehovah came unto me, saying,
7 Behold, Hanamel the son of Shallum thine uncle shall come unto thee, saying, Buy thee my field that is in Anathoth; for the right of redemption is thine to buy it.

(God told Jeremiah that Hanamel, Jeremiah's cousin, would come to Jeremiah offering him to buy a field.)

8 So Hanamel mine uncle's son came to me in the court of the guard according to the word of Jehovah, and said unto me, Buy my field, I pray thee, that is in Anathoth, which is in the land of Benjamin; for the right of inheritance is thine, and the redemption is thine; buy it for thyself. Then I knew that this was the word of Jehovah.

(Jeremiah knew this offer was from God since God directly predicted this very thing in verse 7.)

9 And I bought the field that was in Anathoth of Hanamel mine uncle's son, and weighed him the money, even seventeen shekels of silver.

(Jeremiah bought a field because he knew it was from the Word of God: verses 7-8.)

10 And I subscribed the deed, and sealed it, and called witnesses, and weighed him the money in the balances.
11 So I took the deed of the purchase, both that which was sealed, according to the law and custom, and that which was open:

(Jeremiah made sure he had documentation of this transaction.)

12 and I delivered the deed of the purchase unto Baruch the son of Neriah, the son of Mahseiah, in the presence of Hanamel mine uncle's son, and in the presence of the witnesses that subscribed the deed of the purchase, before all the Jews that sat in the court of the guard.
13 And I charged Baruch before them, saying,
14 Thus saith Jehovah of hosts, the God of Israel: Take these deeds, this deed of the purchase which is sealed, and this deed which is open, and put them in an earthen vessel; that they may continue many days.

(God told Jeremiah to protect the documents for proof that he bought the land.)

15 For thus saith Jehovah of hosts, the God of Israel: Houses and fields and vineyards shall yet again be bought in this land.

(God was giving Jeremiah a chance to become profitable. He bought the land at a cheap price and God told Jeremiah that the land would become possessed again. The land would become worth much more than what Jeremiah paid for it.)

16 Now after I had delivered the deed of the purchase unto Baruch the son of Neriah, I prayed unto Jehovah, saying,

(Jeremiah began praying (vs. 17-25) wanting to know how the land would be worth anything again…)

17 Ah Lord Jehovah! behold, thou hast made the heavens and the earth by thy great power and by thine outstretched arm; there is nothing too hard for thee,

(Jeremiah recognized God and built his faith.)

18 who showest lovingkindness unto thousands, and recompensest the iniquity of the fathers into the bosom of their children after them; the great, the mighty God, Jehovah of hosts is his name;
19 great in counsel, and mighty in work; whose eyes are open upon all the ways of the sons of men, to give every one according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings:

(Jeremiah continued to build his faith by stating that God was aware of all of man's actions and that God was Just.)

20 who didst set signs and wonders in the land of Egypt, even unto this day, both in Israel and among other men; and madest thee a name, as at this day;
21 and didst bring forth thy people Israel out of the land of Egypt with signs, and with wonders, and with a strong hand, and with an outstretched arm, and with great terror;
22 and gavest them this land, which thou didst swear to their fathers to give them, a land flowing with milk and honey;

(Again, Jeremiah was building his faith by referencing God coming through on His promise to give the Promised Land to the Israelites.)

23 and they came in, and possessed it, but they obeyed not thy voice, neither walked in thy law; they have done nothing of all that thou commandedst them to do: therefore thou hast caused all this evil to come upon them.
24 Behold, the mounds, they are come unto the city to take it; and the city is given into the hand of the Chaldeans that fight against it, because of the sword, and of the famine, and of the pestilence; and what thou hast spoken is come to pass; and, behold, thou seest it.

(Jeremiah referenced Justice by stating the injustices against the land by the Babylonians.)

25 And thou hast said unto me, O Lord Jehovah, Buy thee the field for money, and call witnesses; whereas the city is given into the hand of the Chaldeans.

(Jeremiah's request: he was essentially asking, "how is this land that is desolate going to be worth anything?")

26 Then came the word of Jehovah unto Jeremiah, saying,
27 Behold, I am Jehovah, the God of all flesh: is there anything too hard for me?

(Is there anything too hard for God? God was asking Jeremiah if he had enough faith in God to believe that this land would be profitable as God said it would. Also, the Hebrew word for "anything" was Strong's 1697 - dabar. This word meant "speech, words." God was actually asking if anything was too hard for Him to speak.)

28 Therefore thus saith Jehovah: Behold, I will give this city into the hand of the Chaldeans, and into the hand of Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon, and he shall take it:
29 and the Chaldeans, that fight against this city, shall come and set this city on fire, and burn it, with the houses, upon whose roofs they have offered incense unto Baal, and poured out drink-offerings unto other gods, to provoke me to anger.
30 For the children of Israel and the children of Judah have done only that which was evil in my sight from their youth; for the children of Israel have only provoked me to anger with the work of their hands, saith Jehovah.

(God gave this city to Babylon because of the evil that Israel and Judah had done.)

31 For this city hath been to me a provocation of mine anger and of my wrath from the day that they built it even unto this day; that I should remove it from before my face,
32 because of all the evil of the children of Israel and of the children of Judah, which they have done to provoke me to anger, they, their kings, their princes, their priests, and their prophets, and the men of Judah, and the inhabitants of Jerusalem.
33 And they have turned unto me the back, and not the face: and though I taught them, rising up early and teaching them, yet they have not hearkened to receive instruction.

(Israel and Judah provoked God to anger and turned their backs on Him when God tried to teach them, they did not receive God's instruction.)

34 But they set their abominations in the house which is called by my name, to defile it.

(Not only did they not receive instruction from God but they defiled His temple.)

35 And they built the high places of Baal, which are in the valley of the son of Hinnom, to cause their sons and their daughters to pass through the fire unto Molech; which I commanded them not, neither came it into my mind, that they should do this abomination, to cause Judah to sin.

(Another example of some event(s) that happened that never came into God's Mind! Omniscient meant God knew all the causes that existed, and their effects. However, people having a free will (Genesis 2:3) made them a "first cause" that God responded to through Justice.)

36 And now therefore thus saith Jehovah, the God of Israel, concerning this city, whereof ye say, It is given into the hand of the king of Babylon by the sword, and by the famine, and by the pestilence:
37 Behold, I will gather them out of all the countries, whither I have driven them in mine anger, and in my wrath, and in great indignation; and I will bring them again unto this place, and I will cause them to dwell safely:
38 and they shall be my people, and I will be their God:

(God assured Jeremiah that the Israelites would be regathered…)

39 and I will give them one heart and one way, that they may fear me for ever, for the good of them, and of their children after them:
40 and I will make an everlasting covenant with them, that I will not turn away from following them, to do them good; and I will put my fear in their hearts, that they may not depart from me.
41 Yea, I will rejoice over them to do them good, and I will plant them in this land assuredly with my whole heart and with my whole soul.
42 For thus saith Jehovah: Like as I have brought all this great evil upon this people, so will I bring upon them all the good that I have promised them.

(God was Right and Just and always fulfilled His end of His promises.)

43 And fields shall be bought in this land, whereof ye say, It is desolate, without man or beast; it is given into the hand of the Chaldeans.
44 Men shall buy fields for money, and subscribe the deeds, and seal them, and call witnesses, in the land of Benjamin, and in the places about Jerusalem, and in the cities of Judah, and in the cities of the hill-country, and in the cities of the lowland, and in the cities of the South: for I will cause their captivity to return, saith Jehovah.

(God was very detailed in His explanation of why Jeremiah needed not to worry about the profitability of the land that Jeremiah bought. The price of that land would increase as an effect of God's plan of regathering the Israelites.)




Jeremiah 33
1 Moreover the word of Jehovah came unto Jeremiah the second time, while he was yet shut up in the court of the guard, saying,

(Another Word from God while Jeremiah was in prison…)

2 Thus saith Jehovah that doeth it, Jehovah that formeth it to establish it; Jehovah is his name:
3 Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and will show thee great things, and difficult, which thou knowest not.

(God was the Creator and He answered those who called on Him. He would reveal to those who called on Him things they did not know.)

4 For thus saith Jehovah, the God of Israel, concerning the houses of this city, and concerning the houses of the kings of Judah, which are broken down to make a defence against the mounds and against the sword;
5 while men come to fight with the Chaldeans, and to fill them with the dead bodies of men, whom I have slain in mine anger and in my wrath, and for all whose wickedness I have hid my face from this city:
6 Behold, I will bring it health and cure, and I will cure them; and I will reveal unto them abundance of peace and truth.
7 And I will cause the captivity of Judah and the captivity of Israel to return, and will build them, as at the first.

(God would facilitate repair with His people and His city "as at the first." The Israelites would gain full possession of the land promised to them.)

8 And I will cleanse them from all their iniquity, whereby they have sinned against me; and I will pardon all their iniquities, whereby they have sinned against me, and whereby they have transgressed against me.

(God would forgive their sins against Him.)

9 And this city shall be to me for a name of joy, for a praise and for a glory, before all the nations of the earth, which shall hear all the good that I do unto them, and shall fear and tremble for all the good and for all the peace that I procure unto it.

(Other nations would hear the good God did for Israel and they would then fear and tremble.)

10 Thus saith Jehovah: Yet again there shall be heard in this place, whereof ye say, It is waste, without man and without beast, even in the cities of Judah, and in the streets of Jerusalem, that are desolate, without man and without inhabitant and without beast,
11 the voice of joy and the voice of gladness, the voice of the bridegroom and the voice of the bride, the voice of them that say, Give thanks to Jehovah of hosts, for Jehovah is good, for his lovingkindness endureth for ever; and of them that bring sacrifices of thanksgiving into the house of Jehovah. For I will cause the captivity of the land to return as at the first, saith Jehovah.

(Again, God stated He would regather the Israelites and the land would return "as at the first.")

12 Thus saith Jehovah of hosts: Yet again shall there be in this place, which is waste, without man and without beast, and in all the cities thereof, a habitation of shepherds causing their flocks to lie down.
13 In the cities of the hill-country, in the cities of the lowland, and in the cities of the South, and in the land of Benjamin, and in the places about Jerusalem, and in the cities of Judah, shall the flocks again pass under the hands of him that numbereth them, saith Jehovah.
14 Behold, the days come, saith Jehovah, that I will perform that good word which I have spoken concerning the house of Israel and concerning the house of Judah.

(In verse 14, "the days come" were when Christ will reign in Jerusalem during the Millennium.)

15 In those days, and at that time, will I cause a Branch of righteousness to grow up unto David; and he shall execute justice and righteousness in the land.

(Messianic prophecy: Jesus is the "Branch of righteousness" from the lineage of David who will execute Justice and Righteousness in the land.)

16 In those days shall Judah be saved, and Jerusalem shall dwell safely; and this is the name whereby she shall be called: Jehovah our righteousness.

(Jehovah our righteousness came from the Hebrew words YÄ•hovah tsidqenuw which meant "Jehovah is our righteousness.")

17 For thus saith Jehovah: David shall never want a man to sit upon the throne of the house of Israel;
18 neither shall the priests the Levites want a man before me to offer burnt-offerings, and to burn meal-offerings, and to do sacrifice continually.
19 And the word of Jehovah came unto Jeremiah, saying,
20 Thus saith Jehovah: If ye can break my covenant of the day, and my covenant of the night, so that there shall not be day and night in their season;
21 then may also my covenant be broken with David my servant, that he shall not have a son to reign upon his throne; and with the Levites the priests, my ministers.
22 As the host of heaven cannot be numbered, neither the sand of the sea measured; so will I multiply the seed of David my servant, and the Levites that minister unto me.

(The Davidic Covenant was confirmed as eternal.)

23 And the word of Jehovah came to Jeremiah, saying,
24 Considerest thou not what this people have spoken, saying, The two families which Jehovah did choose, he hath cast them off? thus do they despise my people, that they should be no more a nation before them.
25 Thus saith Jehovah: If my covenant of day and night stand not, if I have not appointed the ordinances of heaven and earth;
26 then will I also cast away the seed of Jacob, and of David my servant, so that I will not take of his seed to be rulers over the seed of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob: for I will cause their captivity to return, and will have mercy on them.

(The nation of Israel was also confirmed as eternal.)

(This post covered prophecies and events that occurred while Jeremiah was in prison.)

Day 234

No comments:

Post a Comment